Brand History and Description –
Philips was an initiative of son Gerard and father Frederik Philips. In 1891, Gerard set up a modest manufacturing unit in an empty factory in Eindhoven. The finance for the purpose was provided by Frederik who was a banker. In 1892, the company started manufacturing carbon filament lamps and other related products. This Eindhoven factory is now converted to a museum.
After a tough time of few years, even to the extent of bankruptcy, the father-son duo included Anton, younger brother of Gerard to the team. Although Anton was a qualified engineer he began his career as a sales representative. With Anton, the team got enriched with ideas and soon their business started scaling new heights. In 1908, they formed a new company, Philips Metal Filament Lamp Factory Ltd. (Philips Metaalgloeilampfabriek N.V.) in Eindhoven. They followed this by forming Philips Light Bulb Factories Ltd. (Philips Gloeilampenfabrieken N.V.) in 1912.
Gerard and Anton Philips took their family business to higher scale by creating Philips Corporation, a multinational company for electronic appliances. In the 1920s the company started manufacturing vacuum tubes, in the early 1930s they introduced a radio with built-in loudspeaker called ‘Chaple’, and in the late 1930’s they launched an electric shaver, ‘Philishave’. This razor in the United States is marketed under ‘Norelco’ brand name.