Chilled juices fresh out of a juicer can offer you the much-needed respite from the scorching summer heat.But before you go and grab a juicer yourself, let us look at the differences between the two common types of juicers, so you can decide which one do you want to bring home.
The two most preferred juicer types are Masticating and Centrifugal.
Masticating Juicers: Inmasticating juicers, food items such as fruits and vegetables are chewed or masticated at low speeds to extract the juicesout of it.In this juicer, there is no spinning of food items.
Centrifugal Juicers: Centrifugal juicers operate using the centrifugal force.Food items are subjected to high-speed spinning motion that grinds the food to pulp and extracts the juices from it.
Differences between a Masticating and a Centrifugal juicer:
- Efficiency: Masticating juicersare extremely efficient in extracting the juices from food items.They produce approximately 20% more juice than a centrifugal model.This means that you will have more juice from lesser vegetables and fruits, thereby saving much on your grocery bills.
- Nutritional value and Taste:The nutritional value and taste of juices you make is extremely important.No one would want to drink a bad tasting juice.A masticating juicer maintains the authentic taste of fruits and vegetables than a centrifugal juicer.You will find a noticeable difference in taste of juices extracted by the two juicers.At the very least, you should choose a masticating juicer just to satisfy your taste buds.The nutritional value of the juice is definitely higher in a masticating juicer than in a centrifugal one.
- Juicing Method:Two different juicers have two different juicing methods.Masticating juicers use the Slow Press method in which juices are slowly squeezed out from the raw fruits and vegetables, without a lot of friction.Less friction means less heat, and less heat means enzymes in the food items are retained.Centrifugal juicers follow the quick spin method in which there is a lot of friction involved, however, the frictional force is not so much that it destroys the useful enzymes.
- Oxidation of Food:Oxidation process deteriorates enzymes and other useful nutrients from food.A masticating juicer decelerates the oxidation process thereby maintaining the healthy enzymes and nutrients in the juice.The oxidation process in centrifugal juicers damages the enzymes and nutrients thereby decreasing the nutritional value and affecting the natural taste of the juice.
- Soft Food Items:Masticating juicers can handle soft food items much better than the centrifugal juicers.Masticating juicers can slow press juices from leafy vegetables such as lettuce, wheatgrass, etc. to give you a wholesome drink.Centrifugal juicers, due to their high spin action, tend to shred soft foods apart without extracting any juice.
- Ease of Maintenance:Masticating juicers are low maintenance and easy to clean as compared to the centrifugal units.They are also comparatively quieter than their counterparts.
- Durability: Masticating models are more durable than centrifugal juicers.Masticating units are heavy-duty and long lasting.
Masticating juicers are priced higher than their centrifugal counterparts, but given the benefits that they offer over centrifugal models, they are totally worth the extra bucks.